PHY2027 project options
- Planetary motion. This will require, or develop, a degree of
confidence with using multiple strutures using either a linked list or
array of structures. (NB: you must model the equations of motion
not just assume a particular solution such as an ellipse.)
- Have a collection of structures each
representing a "planet" (one or more of which could be
stars). Two-dimensions is easiest.
- Translate into the rest frame (ie. sum of momentum equals zero)
- Calculate the force on each object
- Move each object.
- Advanced option:
- Fire a rocket from one planet to another
- Conway's game of life.
- Predator/prey relationships.
- Ideally have several species with a structure
representing each and what it eats. That is: have one structure
definition and allocate a structure for each type of animal, do not have
a different type of structure for each animal.
- Numerical integration: program several algorithms and compare the
error with the exact answer.
- Advanced option: try integrating over more than one dimension.
- Mine sweeper.
- Mastermind (see the Mastermind description).
Be careful of spending too much time on pretty text-based diagrams
or printing large amounts of text.
to make use of structures and to avoid misuse of copy and paste.
Other than Reversi/Othelo games are normally the easier option in
themselves (science-related ones are better) but you can add
- Saving high scores.
- Allowing players to save a game part-way through
and restart it the next time the program is played.
- Having multiple players and organising a contest.
- Having the program play you.