Help your readers to scan and gain context
Even in printed media readers scan
the page to
identify the key points and decide which parts to read in greater
detail. They do that even more on-line. Here's how you can help:
- Use bullet
- for key points and hyperlinks.
- Make one point per paragraph.
- The implict rule is that paragraphs normally contain just
one point. Keeping to this will make your dicument more
- Make your point
in the first sentence of each paragraph.
- The classic scan is to read the first sentence of every
paragraph. Put your main point there and use the rest of the
paragraph to explain it more fully. Plus, things are easier to
understand when you already know what they are going to say!
- Highlight key
- and use hyperlinks intelligently.